Monday, August 30, 2010

SKETCH-OF-THE-DAY 096


Dogs? Not slavering hounds from planes of evil and chaos - but silly ol' dogs? That's right - just when you think I'm going to go fastball high and tight, I throw a change-up and make you look silly. And what's with the baseball analogy?

Anyways, yes - dogs. A good friend wanted to get a little sumthin special for her beau so she requested a drawing of the four dogs that they share their lives with. In a very rare occurrence, I worked directly from photographs - *gasp*! - and exaggerated some of the their features ever so slightly to emphasize character.

This was a fun little side project. But don't expect a series of sketchy dog portraits now though.

6 comments:

  1. Steve,

    I must say I did do a double-take when I saw your post. I thought, "Wait a minute, those are just normal dogs? They're not some creepy crawly things with fangs!!" Great sketches!!!

    -Gene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Steve - a little photo reference never hurt anyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I need to refer to pictures (or at least models) more often. It's mostly laziness why I don't - I tend to think that if I just keep drawing and erasing and redrawing, I'll get what I want before I would have finished setting up a model and lighting and all that anyway. Sometimes that is true - sometimes it is not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Steve, Great Doggy's so expressive. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heheh nice! You even put in the "illustrative box". Have a sketch? Want to make it an illustration? Add a box! Works every time.

    Now make them playing poker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly, Vinod! It's a gimmick, yes - but nothing creates (or enforces) composition faster and easier.

    ReplyDelete