Monday, April 27, 2009

SKETCH-OF-THE-DAY 066


G is for Ga-gorib

According to the Hottentot peoples of southwestern Africa, Ga-gorib is a horrid monster that sits on the edge of a deep pit and challenges passers-by to hurl stones at him.  The stones always rebounded and killed the thrower, whose body would topple into Ga-gorib's pit.  But along came a hero named Heitsi-eibib - he waited and waited and waited until finally, when the monster's gaze was averted, he drilled Ga-gorib in the noggin and toppled him into his own corpse-filled chasm.  

The homeplate umpire then warned both dugouts.

6 comments:

  1. I normally wouldn't go for something as vaguely described as "a monster" such as this was, but I really liked this short, succinct fable. A monster that sits by a pit and dares humans to throw stones at him is so great. Plus, I really wanted to do an African mythological figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't that guy come to one of Daryl's parties?

    ReplyDelete
  3. its more of a Khoikhoi myth... which is in the Southern Africa, where I'm from. Never heard of the creature till you brought it up. Went to look it up. Anyway, cool drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Malherbe - I do very modest research using a big book I have which has tons of myths and summarized text on what each myth is all about and I'll cross-reference with wikipedia just to see if there might be a different angle. In this case, the book mentions the Hottentots and Wikipedia (I must have missed this) says Khoikhoi for the origins of the story. Certainly, my little project is all about taking creative liberties with the myths and what they might look like, but I do try to get the basic facts right, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just like the name Hottentots. Can I be one of those?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hottentot is a derogatory term actually. But this is an awesome sketch

    ReplyDelete