Saturday, May 30, 2009

SKETCH-OF-THE-DAY 072


M is for Mammon

Mammon is a demon of Christian lore and is the embodiment of the evils of avarice: the insatiable greed for riches - and riches as an object of worship and greedy pursuit.  From the Bible: "No one can serve two masters. for either he will hate the one and love the other; or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other.  You cannot serve both God and Mammon."

There were a couple good M mythical figures but I had to do Mammon because frankly, I think that greed is the most despicable attribute of humans - unfortunately, there are signs of Mammonism all around us all the time - people making decisions motivated entirely by the pursuit to make as much money as possible no matter what the cost.

Plus, I figured it'd be fun to draw a gross demon.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,

    Just wanted to drop by, say hi, and tell you how much I have been enjoying your seeing your sketches. Mammon is another one you have clearly had fun with, and I am enjoying his 'evilness' too :)

    Cheers,

    Ralph
    ======

    ReplyDelete
  2. This ones great!
    its like hes plotting some evil plan haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should totally try publishing a Mythical Alphabet book with all of your sketches and their explanations. And, I would totally buy it! These are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Love the no eyes, or horns for eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these sketch-a-day things are sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, it started out as a sketch-a-day but I realized after about a month and a half that I just can't work that way. So now it's more like a sketch-or-two-per-week (which just doesn't have the same allure!).

    Anyway, thanks everybody - glad y'all like the mythical beasties!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome I love this guy and his little dainty hands. You are king,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the sketches, kind of remind me of Serpieri, that spanish comic book artist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Serpieri!? Nice to be compared to a master (as much of a stretch as it is) - but I don't think anyone will ever draw perpetually nude voluptuous brunettes as well as Serpieri.

    ReplyDelete