Tuesday, January 26, 2010

SKETCH-OF-THE-DAY 087


W is for Wendigo

The Wendigo is a malevolent, cannibalistic, and a downright horrible evil spirit common to the lore of north-eastern native American tribes - most notably, the Algonquian Indians. There are many descriptions of this eidolon but most boil down to a gaunt (almost skeletal) humanoid with nightmarish features seen skulking around cold and windy northern boreal forests chowing down on humans. A person can change into a Wendigo or be possessed by one - either causing cannibalism or because of it - not a good thing. And so the Wendigo is kinda the boogeyman of the Algonquians - used to keep tribe kids in line: "Hawk-in-the-Sky, stop biting your brother, you'll turn into a damn Wendigo."

Interestingly, there is a condition called "Wendigo Psychosis" (not kidding) where a sufferer, even in the presence of normal food like Doritos, craves nothing but the delicious flesh of a human - human steaks, human-kabobs, human casserole, human sandwich, human buffalo wings, and human smoothies. You name it - Wendigo Psychotics dig it.

6 comments:

  1. rad wendigo. u should check out guy davis wendigo in the bprd comics, its pretty sweet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guy Davis draws the BEST monsters. I've seen his wendigo and it is indeed awesome. Man, I have to catch up on BPRD - I'm like two miniseries behind now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, ya u better catch up, its gettin awesome. My wife bought me an original Guy Davis BPRD spread for christmas,i was floored. Do u have any of his sketchbooks? theyre full of messed up monsters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice sketch. I like your interpretation better than the first "Wendigo" art I saw...
    Incredible Hulk #181 (Wolverine's first appearance) In it Wolverine actually says "moving is what I do best". Really? "Moving." Okay...
    BTW your website is down. (in case you didn't know)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vinod- I'm checking into it. I think they thought I was dead from lack of activity. No, turns out my domain name registration expired. I re-upped it but for some idiotic red-tape reason, it'll be a couple days until rottface is back online wowing everyone with it's sedentary ways....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a wendego rattling on the gate outside my house here in Ottawa right now. I think its a Wendigo...it doesn't have any feet. Yells a lot.

    ReplyDelete